Cllrs Ashton Derry, Bell, Broxholme, Crump, Hewes, Hillman, Hughes, Ives, Spurr, Stafford (Chairman), I Willox, J Willox.
Absent: Cllr Cotton
Elaine Atkin Parish Clerk
There was 1 member of the public in attendance.
7:00 pm PUBLIC QUESTIONS
The following comments were made
- A friend of the member of the public had used the Community Support Scheme during Coronavirus lockdown and had passed on his thanks for this service.
- With reference to agenda item 7 (minute 094/20), the member of public confirmed that the Community Centre Manager does not report to any one Councillor on his day to day activities. At a previous Council meeting, following problems with Councillors trying to instruct the Community Centre Manager in his day to day duties, it had been formally recorded that Councillors cannot do this. The member of public believed that agenda item 7 goes against this agreement. They believed that the Community Centre Manager had not been consulted, and the Council may be in breach of employment law. Cllr Stafford confirmed that the Community Centre Manager reports to the Clerk and the agenda item aims to amend an existing rule and not give an instruction to an employee. The member of public further explained that this seemed to be a direct attack on the Bar in that the restriction only applied to wet sales and none of the other budgets the Community Centre Manager is responsible for.
- The member of public objected to the Clerks being referred to as the ‘secretariat’ at a previous meeting. The Chair had allowed this to continue throughout the meeting and the member of public hoped to see an apology. Cllr Hewes confirmed that he had responded to Cllr V Spurr’s complaint and would apologise to the Clerks in due course if required but not in public at this meeting.
- The member of public referred to a rumour from one of the library volunteers about the library possibly moving to the Village Hall. Cllr Broxholme also referred to gossip about the Parish Council possibly moving to the Village Hall. It was confirmed that both were unfounded rumours.
- Cllr Broxholme asked for clarity regarding consumption of alcohol and it was confirmed that was not permitted at any Parish Council meeting, regardless of whether via Zoom or in personCllr I Willox raised the issue of poor visibility at the A57/Skellingthorpe Road junction again due to overgrown verges/canal banks. The Clerk was asked to raise this with Lincolnshire County Council and Canal & River Trust respectively.
7:15 pm FULL COUNCIL MEETING
TO RECEIVE APOLOGIES AND ACCEPT VALID REASONS FOR ABSENCE, THESE HAVING BEEN SUBMITTED TO THE CLERK PRIOR TO THE MEETING
Apologies and a valid reason for absence had been received from Cllr Cotton and these were accepted.
089/20 TO RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LOCALISM ACT 2011
Cllr V Spurr confirmed that all Councillors had an interest in agenda item 17 (minute 104/20).
Cllr Ashton Derry declared an interest in agenda item 4 (minute 091/20).
090/20 TO APPROVE THE NOTES OF THE FULL COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON 3RD JUNE 2020 AND THE CHAIRMAN TO SIGN THEM AS THE AGREED MINUTES
Cllr Hillman confirmed that minute reference 084/20 should state that the Assistant Clerk would put out the Waterfront Festival cancellation notification, and not Cllr Hillman.
Cllr Hughes proposed, and it was resolved to approve the minutes as amended above, and the Chairman agreed to sign them offline.
091/20 TO APPROVE EXPENDITURE ABOVE SPECIFIED LIMITS, AS PER FINANCIAL REGULATIONS
Cllr Crump proposed, and this was resolved.
092/20 TO APPROVE SECTION 1 ANNUAL GOVERNANCE STATEMENT OF THE ANNUAL GOVERNANCE AND ACCOUNTABILITY RETURN (AGAR) FOR 2019-20 (DEFERRED FROM JUNE)
Cllr Stafford proposed, and it was resolved, with the Chairman and Clerk to sign offline.
093/20 TO APPROVE SECTION 2 ACCOUNTING STATEMENTS OF THE ANNUAL GOVERNANCE AND ACCOUNTABILITY RETURN (AGAR) FOR 2019-20, THESE HAVING ALREADY BEEN SIGNED OFF BY THE RFO (DEFERRED FROM JUNE)
Cllr Ives proposed, and it was resolved, with the Chairman to sign offline.
094/20 TO RATIFY A PROPOSAL FROM FINANCE COMMITTEE REGARDING AMENDMENT TO PARAGRAPH 4B OF THE FINANCIAL REGULATIONS
Cllr Stafford proposed that this item is deferred, pending consideration of comments made in public questions.
095/20 TO CONSIDER AND AGREE A PROPOSAL FROM FINANCE COMMITTEE REGARDING EARMARKED FUNDS
This item was deferred following clarification from the Clerk that the proposal should go to Finance Committee first.
096/20 TO AGREE CLLR BELL’S COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP
It was resolved for Cllr Bell to sit on Personnel Committee.
097/20 TO REVIEW WHETHER THE AUGUST PLANNED WELLIES & WATERWAYS EVENT CAN TAKE PLACE
Cllr Hillman proposed, and it was resolved, to defer this decision to August’s Full Council meeting, pending issue of Canal & River Trust updated guidance due soon regarding volunteer groups.
098/20 TO RECEIVE AN UPDATE ON THE FIRE AT THE COMMUNITY CENTRE
Cllr Hughes passed on thanks to the Clerk and Assistant Clerk for all their efforts due to the fire. It was resolved to note the update.
099/20 CLOSED SESSION – COUNCIL TO RESOLVE TO GO INTO CLOSED SESSION IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PUBLIC BODIES (ADMISSIONS TO MEETINGS) ACT 1960 FOR THE FOLLOWING 5 ITEMS, ON THE GROUNDS THAT PUBLICITY WOULD BE PREJUDICIAL TO THE PUBLIC INTEREST BY REASON OF THE CONFIDENTIAL NATURE OF THE BUSINESS TO BE TRANSACTED.
It was proposed by Cllr V Spurr and resolved to go into closed session. The member of the public left the meeting (7:40 pm).
100/20 TO CONSIDER A PROPOSAL FROM JUNE’S FINANCE COMMITTEE TO WRITE OFF AN OUTSTANDING SALES DEBT FROM 2019-20
This was proposed by Cllr V Spurr and resolved.
101/20 TO RECEIVE AN UPDATE ON STAFFING AND FURLOUGH
The update was received, and the following proposals resolved:
- Proposed by Cllr Hughes.
- Proposed by Cllr V Spurr
- Proposed by Cllr Crump
- Proposed by Cllr Ives
- Proposed by Cllr Hillman
102/20 TO AGREE THE REVISED 2020-21 BUDGET, BASED ON THE LATEST PROJECTED BUDGET AND THE FINANCE COMMITTEE RECOMMENDATION
The Clerk confirmed that the revised budget was based on the worst-case scenario. The budget position would change continually, and a regular review of the budget position would take place at the Finance Committee and Full Council meetings each month.
Cllr Hewes asked when the Council would run out of money. The Clerk confirmed that the cash flow position was currently being worked on.
Cllr Stafford confirmed that any Councillors not on Finance Committee, who needed any further information could contact himself or the Clerks.
The revised budget was proposed by Cllr Hughes and resolved.
103/20 TO CONSIDER A COMMUNITY CENTRE STRATEGY OPTIONS PAPER AND AGREE A RECOMMENDED WAY FORWARD
It was confirmed that the paper had been put together by Cllr Hewes, with additional information/clarification comments from the Clerk.
Three options were proposed for consideration. Cllr V Spurr raised a number of detailed comments on the proposals.
Cllr Hewes proposed option 2 – complete the restoration works but stage the re-opening of various facilities within the Centre. Cllr Ashton Derry made a counterproposal for option 1 – complete the restoration works and re-open as per before the fire, as quickly as possible. The counterproposal was considered first, but this was not resolved. Cllr Hewes’ option 2 was then considered and was resolved.
Cllr Broxholme requested that the football clubs were given an update as soon as possible, as they needed to know the position in regard to the start of the football season in September.
104/20 TO CONSIDER AND AGREE ACTIONS IN RELATION TO A PERSONNEL MATTER
A proposal had been issued by the Assistant Clerk, following external advice obtained, and in conjunction with recommendation from the Chairman. A late counterproposal had been issued direct by Cllr Hewes.
There was a robust discussion and Cllr Hewes’ counterproposals were considered as follows:
1. Cllr Hewes proposed, and it was resolved to note the report submitted.
A recorded vote was requested for the remaining proposals.
2. Proposed by Cllr Hewes. For: Cllrs Hewes, Ives, Crump, Bell. Against: Cllrs Broxholme, Ashton Derry, I Willox, J Willox, V Spurr. Abstentions: Cllrs Hughes, Hillman, Stafford. This proposal was not resolved.
3. Proposed by Cllr Hughes and resolved with all in favour.
4. Proposed by Cllr Hewes and resolved with all in favour.
5. Proposed by Cllr Hewes. For: Cllrs Hewes, Broxholme, Crump, Bell, Stafford. Against: Cllrs V Spurr and Ashton Derry. Abstentions: Cllrs I Willox, J Willox, Hughes and Hillman. This was resolved. The Clerk pointed out the financial implications of this resolution.
The meeting closed at 8:50 pm.
Please be advised that these are notes of the meeting taken by the Assistant/Clerk and cannot in any way be regarded as the official minutes of Council proceedings until they are approved and signed at the next meeting.