MINUTES OF THE FULL COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON WEDNESDAY 3rd JUNE 2020 AT 7:00 pm
Under the Local Authorities (Coronavirus) (Flexibility of Local Authority Meeting) (England) Regulations 2020, this meeting was held by video conference.
Cllrs Bell, Cotton, Crump, Hewes, Hillman, Hughes, Ives, Spurr, Stafford (Chairman), I Willox, J Willox.
Cllrs Ashton Derry, Broxholme
Elaine Atkin Parish Clerk
Lydia Smithson Assistant Clerk
John McDonald Community Centre Manager
There was 1 member of the public in attendance.
7:00 pm PUBLIC QUESTIONS
The following comments were made
- An issue raised with drains on Sykes Lane has now been resolved. 3 of the drains have been cleared out by the Grounds team. The landowner has been chasing West Lindsey District Council regarding a missing grill on top of one of the drains, which poses a potential risk. Cllr Cotton offered to help sort this with WLDC if required.
- Cllr V Spurr mentioned some bark damage to one of the trees in the burial ground. The Community Centre Manager confirmed that this had been caused accidentally by the mower, however the Grounds Manager believes the tree to be OK.
- Cllr Hughes raised concerns flagged by a resident on the Daubeney estate, that old high hedges are being taken down and replaced with 6’ fences enclosing gardens. Cllr Cotton confirmed that residents are permitted to do this if on their property. The Assistant Clerk recommended the residents should contact WLDC Planning to confirm this if they are concerned.
Cllr Stafford welcomed Cllr Bell to his first meeting.
7:15 pm FULL COUNCIL MEETING
071/20 TO RECEIVE APOLOGIES AND ACCEPT VALID REASONS FOR ABSENCE, THESE HAVING BEEN SUBMITTED TO THE CLERK PRIOR TO THE MEETING
Apologies and a valid reason for absence had been received from Cllrs Ashton Derry and Broxholme and these were accepted.
072/20 TO RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LOCALISM ACT 2011
There were none.
073/20 TO APPROVE THE NOTES OF THE FULL COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON 6TH MAY 2020 AND THE CHAIRMAN TO SIGN THEM AS THE AGREED MINUTES
Cllr Hughes proposed, and it was resolved to approve the minutes and the Chairman agreed to sign them offline.
074/20 TO APPROVE EXPENDITURE ABOVE SPECIFIED LIMITS, AS PER FINANCIAL REGULATIONS
Cllr Hilman proposed, and this was resolved.
075/20 TO NOTE THE INTERNAL AUDITOR REPORT OF THE ANNUAL GOVERNANCE AND ACCOUNTABILITY STATEMENT (AGAR) FOR 2019-20
Cllr V Spurr proposed, and it was resolved to note this.
076/20 TO APPROVE SECTION 1 ANNUAL GOVERNANCE STATEMENT OF THE ANNUAL GOVERNANCE AND ACCOUNTABILITY RETURN (AGAR) FOR 2019-20
Cllr Stafford proposed, and it was resolved, to defer this to July, pending Cllr Stafford reading the associated guidance.
077/20 TO APPROVE SECTION 2 ACCOUNTING STATEMENTS OF THE ANNUAL GOVERNANCE AND ACCOUNTABILITY RETURN (AGAR) FOR 2019-20, THESE HAVING ALREADY BEEN SIGNED OFF BY THE RFO
Cllr Stafford proposed, and it was resolved, to defer this to July. (Section 1 of the AGAR must be approved before Section 2).
078/20 TO NOTE THE AGREED PERIOD FOR THE EXERCISE OF PUBLIC RIGHTS AS MONDAY 3RD AUGUST 2020 TO MONDAY 14TH SEPTEMBER 2020 INCLUSIVE
Cllr Hughes proposed, and it was resolved to note this.
079/20 TO CONSIDER AND AGREE RECOMMENDATIONS FROM FINANCE COMMITTEE
It was confirmed that a further Finance Committee meeting had been scheduled for 24th June.
080/20 TO REVIEW AND APPROVE STANDING ORDERS AND FINANCIAL REGULATIONS
Cllr Cotton proposed approval of Standing Orders V7.3, and this was resolved.
There was a discussion around the authorisation limit in 4b of the Financial Regulations V5.5. The limit could not be open-ended but must be practical so as not to get in the way of operational matters.
Cllr Cotton proposed and it was resolved that a proposal for a revised limit in 4b should be made to Finance Committee, for recommendation at July’s Full Council meeting, to enable approval of the Financial Regulations V5.5.
081/20 TO AGREE THE COUNCIL DOCUMENT REVIEW TIMETABLE FOR 2020/21
Cllr Crump proposed and it was resolved to agree the timetable as proposed.
082/20 TO AGREE CHANGES TO VARIOUS COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP
Cllr Cotton proposed that Cllr Hewes’ membership of Personnel Committee be accepted, and this was resolved.
083/20 TO RECEIVE A PROGRESS REPORT FOLLOWING THE FIRE AT THE COMMUNITY CENTRE
As per the report, Cllr V Spurr proposed to note the update; note the impact on the Clerk’s time; note the likely timescales and financial impact on the Council. This was resolved.
Cllr Hewes requested an agenda item for July’s Full Council to discuss the strategy for bringing the Community Centre back into use, once Covid-19 restrictions and fire restoration permits.
084/20 TO REVIEW PLANNED EVENTS FOR 2020 AND AGREE ACTIONS, INCLUDING CANCELLING/RE-ARRANGING WHERE APPROPRIATE
As per the report, taking into account the impact of Covid-19 and the fire:
- It was noted that the Raffle was not on the list. Cllr V Spurr proposed, and it was resolved to defer this until next year.
- It was proposed by Cllr Hillman and resolved to cancel the Waterfront Festival until next year. Cllr Hillman offered to notify the Working Group.
- It was proposed by Cllr V Spurr and resolved to cancel the 5k and 2k event until next year. Cllr Hughes and V Spurr offered to help contact entrants.
- Cllr Cotton proposed and it was resolved to retain the Remembrance event (service at the Memorial only).
- It was proposed by Cllr Crump and resolved to cancel the Christmas Lights and Fireworks event, to still have the tree and lights but no ‘switching on’ ceremony. Cllrs I and J Willox offered to sponsor the Christmas tree through their business.
- It was proposed by Cllr Hillman and resolved to cancel the July Wellies & Waterway event and review in July whether the August event can go ahead. It was noted that should it go ahead, this would have to be Councillor-led due to constraints on officer time, and that the Risk Assessments would have to be reviewed due to Covid-19.
- It was also noted that a public statement would need issuing as soon as possible regarding events; that officer time would be required to process all these cancelled events; and that fees and sponsorship already received may have to be refunded, if these cannot be carried over to next year.
085/20 CLOSED SESSION – COUNCIL TO RESOLVE TO GO INTO CLOSED SESSION IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PUBLIC BODIES (ADMISSIONS TO MEETINGS) ACT 1960 FOR THE FOLLOWING 2 ITEMS, ON THE GROUNDS THAT PUBLICITY WOULD BE PREJUDICIAL TO THE PUBLIC INTEREST BY REASON OF THE CONFIDENTIAL NATURE OF THE BUSINESS TO BE TRANSACTED.
It was proposed by Cllr V Spurr and resolved to go into closed session. The Community Centre Manager left the meeting (8:32 pm).
086/20 TO CONSIDER AND AGREE QUOTES TO PURCHASE AN OFFICE PRINTER
087/20 TO RECEIVE AN UPDATE ON FURLOUGH
The update was received. It was proposed by Cllr Hughes and resolved, to review the situation at future meetings.
The meeting closed at 8:42 pm.